Tuesday, November 13, 2001

Sometimes, the fear of living overwhelms me, and I need to sit down and count my blessings painstackingly, one by one. Some of them are easy: that my kids are brilliant geniuses and my husband a paragon of patience is obvious. Some of them have to be looked for very carefully. Lately I have been trying to figure out if I actually know anything. Almost four years and 200 pages devoted to one topic, and do I know anything? Or will the final accessor on the day of doom look at the fruits of my labours and say: you write brilliantly. But you have no content!

So what have I learned, from these years of enjoying myself with a topic I (used to) love?
I have learned to search for knowledge.
I have met some wonderful people and made some new friends.
I have become a very good online roleplayer.
I have read a LOT of theory, and found a lot which is not relevant to the topic.
I have learned to argue beyond logic and exhaustion (thank you Espen).

Will any of this carry me through the last months between me and my PhD? Stay tuned for more thrills from the life of an exhausted scholar!

No comments: