Monday, September 06, 2004

Not so sinful

I spent the sunday putting the house back in some order. After a week or two of being lived in by an active family with more tasks than time, it looks like a neglected bus-station. Which it sometimes feels like. As a reward to the family for all doing their part of the job, I made this spelt and fructose chocolate cake.



The recipe:
100 gram fructose
4 eggs
1 dl virgin olive oil
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 deciliter milk
180 grams of fine spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Mix eggs and sugar until it's fluffy and stiff. This is easier and quicker with fructose than with sugar. Add oil, salt, milk, cocoa, baking powder and spelt flour. Beat carefully and as little as possible as you mix everything. Use a round form with a loose bottom, 24 cm diameter. Bake for 40 minutes, 180 degrees celsius.

When the cake cools down, mix the icing.

100 grams of butter
100 grams of cream cheese
75 grams of fructose
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 eggyolk

Mix butter and cream cheese. Put in the cocoa and the eggyolk and beat until the icing is smooth. Spread it over the cake and serve with whipped cream and/or fruit.

Using spelt flour and fructose causes the bloodsugar levels to rise slower and fall slower when you eat this cake than others. The calorie count isn't much lower than with normal flour and sugar, but the spelt flour makes you feel full much quicker, and the slow drop of the bloodsugar prevents the renewed craving for something sweet that cakes otherwise trigger in carb wrecks like me. No, this isn't diet food for losing weight, but it doesn't make me gain weight at the lightening speed most other chocolate cakes I make would if I didn't leave the eating to others.

The decoration? I was playing around with my 36 tips cake decoration set (yes, I have deviant interests), making this design which the boy claims was inspired by old wigs. Alternately, he expected an alien monster to break free of the cake in a shower of chocolate icing and wrap about his neck. I guess I should name this cake "alien nest" or "chocolate of outer space". Nobody refused to eat though. I guess I should have put some blue in the icing if I wanted it all for myself.

No comments: